Thursday, December 20, 2012

Christmas candy

Yesterday I took a day off from work to attend Joli's Christmas Extravaganza. It was such a beautiful concert with KG1 and KG2 kids all signing together in Arabic, English, German and French! They were all dressed in red T-shirts and with festive hats on their little heads, all in true Christmas spirit. They sang their Christmas songs and rounded off with "We wish you a Merry Christmas" but "merry christmas" was replaced by "happy holidays" and the extra syllable added some new challenges to the song. After their performance (and I was in tears most of the time, even when my child was not even performing) we had a lovely picnic outside. Joli made friends with a Swedish boy and she was very excited about the fact that they were speaking Swedish together. Luckily, it turned out that the same boy lives in our compound so I suspect there will be some playdates coming up during the winter break!
Early in the morning, I decided to do the mandatory Barracuda run, and no, it is not a fishing adventure. Barracuda is a large, tax free shop, located in the small emirate of Umm al Quwain. Many thousands dirhams later, I drove back with the car trunk packed with cases of various contents. I got home just in time to off load my cargo and then head straight to Joli's school.
Joli was knackered in the afternoon and fell asleep, Elias had his friends over and I got the brilliant "I-have-to-make-candy" idea. A very popular reciepe (as I read about it in various blogs) is Leila's rocky road. Since I don't have any Dumle toffee, I decided to use Riesen which may be a bit too dark and the toffee got stuck here and there, turning into lumps but maybe that's how it should be? All in all, despite the looks of it, it tasted really good!

Leilas' rocky road

  • 600 g dark chocolat (70 %)
  • 2 bags Dumel toffee (I used Riesen toffee since we don't have the Dumle ones here)
  • 2 dl mini marshmallows
  • 3 dl salted peanuts
  • 1 dl peeled pistachio nuts
  1. Melt the chocolate in a bowl over boiling water.
  2. Mix all ingredients with the chocolate. Save some for garnish.
  3. Put it in a tray with baking paper, refrigerate for a few hours and cut in pireces.
 

5 comments:

  1. Det låter faktiskt spännande, kanske skulle vara värt att testa, och det behöver ju faktiskt inte göras just till jul...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Det ar riktigt gott faktiskt men jag tror det ar battre med Dumle an med Riesen, men man tager ju vad man haver! Receptet finns i Leilas bok "A piece of cake"!

      Delete
  2. :) No Christmas without a Barracuda visit. Brings a whole new meaning to Christmas spirits:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete