Saturday, December 29, 2012

Russian salad

Russia has a special place in my heart and I have spent quite a lot of time there, mainly in St. Petersburg. I love the language, the food, the people, their culture. Walking through St. Petersburg is like visiting a gigantic outdoor museum, with glorious buildings, churches, parks, monuments. I can never get tired of that city! I have spent New Years Eve, summer, I have studied at the St. Petersburg state university and I even got married there (in the true Orthodox fashion) with my, at the time, Russian boyfriend (later husband and even later, ex husband...).
The new year in Russia is a big celebration, mainly because Christmas was a religious holiday and therefore banned during the Soviet era. And the Orthodox church celebrates Christmas in January according to the old calendar. On New Year's, everyone gathers at home and eat lots of food (not too different from the rest of the world), and a standard dish on the New Year's table is zimnij salad (winter salad) or "olivier" as it is also named. This is one of the yummiest salads I have ever tasted and has become one of my favouries since then. And I quickly learned, that on most occasions, there is "olivier" on the table! Even in former Soviet Uzbekistan, I had "olivier".

Olivier
potatoes
carrots
pickled cucumber
eggs
onion
ham
mayonnaise

Boil potatoes, carrots and eggs. Chop all ingredients into small cubes and mix with mayonnaise. Stir it all carefully around so as not to mash all the vegerables. Add more mayonnaise after taste, some salt if necessary. Decorate with chopped carrots and parsely before serving.

 

8 comments:

  1. Den här salladen finns i Spanien också, och då kallas den just rysk sallad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ja, blev glatt overraskad nar jag var i Barcelona forsta gangen och sag "ensaladilla Rusa" pa tapasmenyn!!

      Delete
  2. Vad du har varit med om mycket! Tycker om St. Petersburg också, även om jag bara har varit där några dagar i början av 90-talet när man kunde ta båten dit. Skulle gärna se mer av Ryssland och de fd Sovjetstaterna. Åkte runt i Moldavien och Ukraina i mitten av 90-talet under några veckor och det var fantastiskt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lustigt du namner baten! Min forsta tur till St. Petersburg var just med bat, en nyarskryssning!!! Moldavien och Ukraina verkar ocksa intressant och vackert och nu har jag en resa till Georgien inplanerad i januari!!!

      Delete
  3. You're so cool!! I love russian salad and I used to eat it all the time, when I was in Spain (ensalada rusa), but I'd love to try the real Russian version:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Russian friend here is throwing a party soon, will make sure you get invited!

      Delete
  4. lät gott det där. Ett riktigt gott slut till dig! kram Nilla

    ReplyDelete