Thursday, December 13, 2012

Slow cooker peasoup and pancakes

The amazing slow cooker

Thin, Swedish pancakes

 
 
Thursdays in Sweden is the day when we eat peasoup and pancakes. This tradition goes back to the 1200s -1300s when Sweden was still Catholic and the week ended with peasoup and salted pork as a preparation for the Friday fasting.
The peasoup we make in the slow cooker is slightly different from the traditional one, but tastes just as good:

1 lb split peas or yellow peas
10 cups broth water
1 lb pork or sausage
6 cubes chicken broth
1 1/2 cups chopped carrot
1 chopped celery
2 potatoes, chopped
4 pcs garlic cloves
oregano
2 bay leves
1 chopped onion

Layer all ingredients in a slow cooker in the order given, adding the broth last. do not stir the ingredients. Cover and cook on High 4-5 hours or on Low 8-10 hours until peas are soft. Serve with garlic bread and if stomach room allows; pancakes with jam and whipped cream for desert.
My apologies for the crappy photos, I never seem to have my SLR at hand so most of my photos are taken with my Blackberry. Or I start eating before taking a photo and the Kodak momen is lost, who wants to look at an empty plate? I will try to improve in the photo department, promise!
 



 

7 comments:

  1. Något jag aldrig har gjort...de få gånger vi har ätit det hemma har det varit "ärtsoppa i plastkorv", men man vet aldrig, någon gång kanske blir den första...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't have pea soup for ages. Did you go to the sauna too? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thіs is my fiгst time ρay a visit at herе аnd i am trulу haρрy tο read all at alone ρlace.


    Ηегe iѕ my wеb ρage :: area codes

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excеllent web ѕite. A lot of helpful infoгmation
    here. Ӏ am ѕеnԁing it to sοme palѕ ans alѕo ѕharіng in ԁelicious.
    And оbvіously, thankѕ in your swеat!


    My ωеb-ѕite ... nosejob

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty nicе post. I sіmply stumbled upοn yοuг blog anԁ ωаnted tо sаy that I havе
    tгulу еnjоyed brοωsing your ωeblog ρоsts.

    In any case I'll be subscribing for your rss feed and I'm hoрing you wrіte again very
    ѕoon!

    Loоk at my blοg post :: nummerupplysningen.se

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! I could have sworn I've visited this blog before but after looking at many of the posts I realized it's new to
    me. Regardless, I'm certainly pleased I stumbled upon it and I'll be book-marking it and checking back frequently!


    Also visit my homepage :: Jackpot 6000 free (http://www.Gnmr.de/author/RudyMassi)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have you ever considered about adding a little bit more than just your articles?
    I mean, what you say is valuable and all. Nevertheless
    think about if you added some great images or video
    clips to give your posts more, "pop"! Your content is excellent but
    with pics and videos, this blog could undeniably be one
    of the most beneficial in its niche. Amazing blog!


    my web page - jackpot 6000

    ReplyDelete