Monday, January 14, 2013

My favourite restaurants in Dubai

Well, this may sound like I am out and about most every night, but that is not the case. I probably know less about various restaurants compared to the average Dubai expat and I also tend to stick with my old favourites, hence not being so adventurous as I should, rather conservative!

Sushi: Toshis sushi buffet at Grand Millennium is one of my favourites. There are plenty of great sushi restaurants here in Dubai but this still remains my favourite. The stunning view over Dubai from the 18th floor adds to the experience of course and the staff are lovely. The main theme is of course sushi and sashimi (oh and I could live solely on sashimi!!) but they also offer tempura and teppanyaki stations.

Steaks: Rivington Grill at Souk Al Bahar and The Meat Company (either Souk Al Bahar or Madinat Jumeirah). Souk Al Bahar offers a sensational view over the fountains but Madinat Jumeirah is not far behind with a great view over Burj Al Arab.

Italian: My all time favourite Italian is Pregos at Media Rotana. I have never been disappointed with Pregos and I have been there quite a few times. And the Amaretto/Vanilla/Pistacchio creme brulee is to die for!!

Tapas:  Seville at Wafi has excellent tapas and also Al Hambra at Al Qasr Madinat Jumeirah.

Lunch: There are plenty of great lunch restaurants, all forms of food and price ranges but one of my favourite lunch places is Carluccio's (Dubai Mall, Mirdif City Centre, Dubai Marina Mall). The food is excellent and they also have a lovely shop where you can buy your pastas, pestos, biscotti etc.

Coffee: No, it's not Starbucks, I am actually not a huge fan of Starbucks. I do miss the cozy, personal little cafes you can find all around Europe, instead of the major coffee chains like Starbucks, Costa, Caribou. Though, I must admit that I love Tim Horton's coffee and Timbits. Luckily, they just opened up several outlets around Dubai recently.

I also have my favourite Afghan restaurant, which is a very humble little place close to Dubai Bowling Center. Plastic flowers, Bollywood TV-shows and a wide range of customers from Central Asia; they still make amazing ploff (rice with meat) and Afghan flat bread. One lunch meal constist of three large skewers, soup, salad, rice and bread. Enough to feed a whole family. The best Afghan meal I have had was in Mazar-e-Sharif, Afghanistan but there are plenty of Afghan restaurants here in the UAE.

I definitely need to wider my food horizons and find new favourites. If there is something Dubai can provide, it is good restaurants!

As you can see by this post, nothing exciting is going on in my life. I think I caught a cold, feeling a bit tired and worn out. And I don't have the energy to cook either. I hope that will change soon.

4 comments:

  1. I love trying out different restaurants, especially when I am on holidays or in other countries. Do you have any favorites for Friday brunch?
    I wish you better!!!
    Kramar, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are plenty of good restaurants for Friday brunch, truth is that I have only been to two! The JW Marriott is good but most hotels have good brunches with free flow!
    My hubby has just left Vienna after a 24 hour stop there!
    Kram!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey cool...hope he liked his VIE stop...lots of snow though!
    Kram, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are so many restaurants in Dubai, but my first choice for fast food restaurant is Hardees Arabia. The taste of chicken burger, cheese burger is just awesome.

    ReplyDelete