Sunday, January 13, 2013

The ABBA mission

...and I am NOT talking about "Waterloo ABBA", but cod fish roe and pickled herring. Since a few months back, Carrefour in Mirdif City Centre has been our main supplier of ABBA products, cod fish roe, pickled herring and Kalles roe spread. However, there seem to be more and more Swedes aware of this rare treasure so now they are out of stock most of the time. Until yesterday, when a friend posted on Facebook that you can actually find the same at Hyperpanda in Dubai Festival City. Since IKEA stopped selling herring (apart from Matjes herring) we have been left to our own devices. IKEA is unfortunately a major disappointment when it comes to Swedish food nowadays. The launching of their new brand cannot have been very successful as there is hardly anything in their shelves. So yesterday, I drove all the way down to Festival Center to put my greedy hands on the last three tubes of roa spread. Other than that, yesterday was very non-adventurous. I bought some frames at IKEA for my new photo wall (inspired by Life's Silverlining and I).
Friday's BBQ turned out really well, we had a great time despite the cold and unfriendly weather that day. Mitzie Mee brought some wonderful chocolate fondants that we all enjoyed. Inspired by Friday's Korean lunch, I decided to indulge a bit more in kimchi last night and opened a jar of Chonggae Kimchi and ate probably half of it with the result that I woke up several times this night with a terrible stomach pain.
I have also failed with my new years project as I was far too busy to cook something new on Friday and yesterday I was way too tired. I am still thinking of doing something exciting and new for tomorrow, not quite sure what.
This week is ga busy one. On Wednesday, I'm attending a network reception for contractors and other companies in the security/peace-conflict business and it is usually interesting and with a great opportunity to meet potential Clients. It is held in Dubai Media One Hotel, Dubai Media City. And on Friday, we are invited to my dear, Russian friend A for a traditional Russian party with vodka, dumplings, salads and dark bread. As I have mentioned before, I am a huge fan of Russian and Central Asian food and when I spent three months studying in Uzbekistan, I gained about 5 kg thanks to the lovely food...

Brother and Sister

6 comments:

  1. Vi pratade faktiskt i morse (till kaviarmackan) om att ABBA varit lite dåliga på att exportera den här produkten. Att den är svår att få tag på i Dubai är kanske inte så förvånande, men den finns heller inte i Danmark eller på Island... Däremot finns den (Kallen kaviar) i Norge...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ja det ar en lysande produkt! Jag ar glad att de har borjat salja Kalles samt ABBAS sill pa Carrefour nu men den tar slut ganska snabbt. Forstar inte varfor IKEA slutade med det???

      Delete
  2. Även Cold Storage i Singapore har numer ABBAs produkter och jag håller med om att Ikeas matavdelning bara blir sämre och sämre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roligt att ABBA fatt genomslag i ovriga varlden ocksa och det raddade verkligen var jul!! Det ar trist att IKEA inte satsar mer pa svensk mat, hade ju kunnat bli hur bra som helst.

      Delete
  3. Japp, IKEAs matavdelning är en besvikelse numera, men deras smörgåskaviar är OK, känner inte så stor skillnad när man jämför.

    På tal om att fredag är söndag hos er, så måste ju torsdag vara som fredag och TGIT istället för TGIF ;)!
    Kram från Singapore!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ja har ar det TGIT! Det finns aven en arabisk variant: S.H.I.T (Shukran Hamdulilah It's Thursday). Shukran betyder "tack" och hamdulilah "thank God"! :)
      Kram!!!!!

      Delete