Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Winter in Dubai

It is winter in Dubai, the best time of the year. The weather is perfect, you can actually spend more than five minutes outside without getting a heatstroke. The winter is when all out door activities start, when there is always a BBQ going on at someone's house and you see the pool crowded until late afternoon. The parks are full during weekends with families enjoying a picnic while the kids are playing.
The average temperature during the day is around 25-28 degrees, which is like a hot Swedish summer but for us Dubaians, tends to be a bit cool. In the evening, it drops even further, down to 15-16 and that is VERY cold. The kids wear their school jumpers while waiting for the bus in the morning. I have realized that the Swedishness in me is diminishing for every year. Almost six years outside of Sweden takes its toll. I have turned into a complete wimp!
My cooking adventures have not been very adventurous, yesterday we enjoyed fish with mussels, cooked together in a white wine sauce and with that, pressed potatoes and fresh dill from the garden.

Pressed potatoes. Easily done wit a potato press (resembles a garlic press, but bigger)
Fish fillet with white wine sauce and mussels
Jolis mermaid plate from Pottery Barn Kids
I love pressed potatoes, it is a nice alternative to the more common boiled ones and less time consuming than the heavier mash. You press the boiled potatoes in a potato press, which resembles a garlic press, but bigger. And voila, pressed potatoes. Decorate with some fresh herbs! I managed to take a quick tour to the compound gym before dinner yesterday and felt exhausted afterwards, hence an early night for me. Elias was still up working on his homework, compare three different scientists. Apologies for the not so classy photos, I am way too lazy to pull out my Nikon (and when there is dinner time, one has to act quickly in our household to get descent photos before it is all ruined) so most of my recent pictures are taken with my Blackberry (which has a quite good camera for being a phone, I must say).

5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It feels healthy, and I love fish but should stay away from the potatoes, very hard when you grew up in Sweden though! :) x

      Delete
  2. I've never had pressed potatoes. It looks really tasty! The mermaid plate is adorable, -wonder if I'm too old to get me one:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We used to do it all the time in the restaurant where I was working during my "university years". It looks a bit more interesting than the usual boiled one and feels kind of "lighter"! And one is NEVER too old for a mermaid plate!! :)

      Delete
  3. This is a great inspiring article.I am pretty much pleased with your good work.You put really very helpful information. Keep it up. Keep blogging. Looking to reading your next post.
    experience in dubai

    ReplyDelete