Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Sometimes all you need to do is ask

I have just gotten back from my breakfast meeting and it was very interesting! Of course you can't cover everything in a two hour meeting but at least some bullet points about the regulatory and litigation deveopments in the Middle East, Key US regulatory developments (and very relevant to us as a company) plus European trends in corporate litigation. The meeting started off with a gorgeous breakfast buffet, unfortunately I felt a bit embarrassed to take out my phone and start taking photos of the food so, sorry, no pics this time. There was cheese, cold cuts, cereal, fresh fruit, omelets, sausages, coffee, tea, juice, croissants, you name it! I soon found myself involved in discussions with three other legal advisors/lawyers from various companies and the main topic was not law but children, schools and homework! Sometimes it's nice to know it's not just me trying to balance a career with children, homework, school activities and birthday parties.
Now I'm back at my desk and should probably start doing some work but thought I'd pop in and say hi first.
I have been interested in taking a course to "deepen" my knowledge in project management and finance and found a very interesting one "Finance for Non financial managers", and it only lasts for three days which is just as much time as I can take off  from the normal working week. I was playing with the thought of doing an Executive MBA which is a course designed for managers who are already working full time. However, when looking at the course hours (and the price, OMG! A fortune!) I realized that there would be no time whatsoever left for free time, normal weekends and quality time with the family so decided quickly to put that project aside. After getting some mixed messages from our HR department I claiming that I had to take vacation days to attend a course that is beneficial for my work role, I decided to discuss it with my CEO directly and within less than 15 minutes she had agreed to funding half of the course fee plus allowing me to attend during working hours (as it should be, I guess..?). So I was very happy yesterday, sometimes all you need is to ask!
 

9 comments:

  1. Vad kul när det ordnar sig så bra!

    Kram Pernilla

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right on...good for you! The company should promote employees who are willing to further their education especially if it benefits the company!!!
    Kram, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too but we don't seem to have any form of policy regarding additional training/education for employees!SoI'm glad I asked anyway!
      Kram!!

      Delete
  3. Congratulations! Sounds like a really interesting course.
    You're a busy woman and I'm deeply impressed by how you both manage to have a career and be such a wonderful mom to your kids (just the motherhood thing seems like such an overwhelming task to me):)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope it will be very interesting! Well, we all know without Mother Teresa at home nothing would function in our house so it is all thanks to her!! Motherhood can be very overwhelming but also very rewarding! :)

      Delete
  4. Jobs at your Home, Internet Online Jobs like data entry, copy pasting, Form Filling, Facebook Sharing Jobs, Clicking Jobs, Web Surfing, Google Jobs and Much More Earning Systems Online
    www.jobzcorner.com

    ReplyDelete