Sunday, May 19, 2013

New York, New York

A while back, which feels like an eternity, me and friend M decided to meet up in New York. She lives in Sweden and just celebrated her 40th so why not add a trip to the Big Apple as an extra birthday treat? I, friend M and friend A all went to NYC in March 2005. We had a blast, dinner in the Meat Packing District, shopping at Macy's, drinks here and there. I can't say I'm a New York expert because I probably haven't seen even a third of what the city has to offer, but I fell instantly in love with it last time. Of course one should ideally spend more time than just a couple of days but it is definitely better than nothing.
Friend M is flying in from Sweden and I from Dubai and we meet up at our hotel The POD 39. As we are celebrating her birthday, I'm thinking fizzy drinks that afternoon, and jet lag and travelling lag permitting, I suspect we will hit Korea town later that evening for some great food and tons of home made kimchi!
Since NY Rangers just made to the Stanley Cup quarter final, I was a bit tempted to buy tickets for one of their first games against Boston Bruins but thought against it when I realized getting tickets would be quite problematic and in fairness, we can park ourselves in a nice bar (I hope) and watch the game. My son is a great fan of Henke and NY Rangers, so I'm planning on buying him some NY Rangers stuff whilst "in town". Joli will be more than happy with something from the Disney store, I'm thinking Ariel from "The Little Mermaid" (and also trying to find the movie as it is impossible to find here in the UAE by some reason). For myself, I'm looking at finding a new toilet bag, some new clothes (that you cannot buy in the UAE) and perhaps a new wallet. We shall see!

Not NYC but Seattle, another favourite city
So any of you who's got great tips on nice restaurants, bars, shopping places in NYC? I will be lazy and not do the usual tourist things (last time we decided against standing in an long line to get to Empire State and I suspect we will do the same now, esp. since I'm terrified of heights...).
The only "negative" thing is of course the one whether one will make the flight home or not, but I will try to remain positive!

13 comments:

  1. Åh NYC!!! Älskar verkligen den staden, trots att jag endast varit där en gång.
    Vi åt på ett jättetrevligt ställe som hette Blue water grill, var en bekant som är N.Y-bo som tipsade om denna. Jättegott kött!
    Men, jag hoppas komma dit när barnen är lite större och uppskattar shopping och sightseeing mer.

    Kram

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jag haller med, blev blixtforalskad I NY vid forsta ogonkastet! Ska notera restaurangen, alltid trevligt med nya upptackter! Tror det kan vara en kul destination for barnen ocksa men kanske om nagra ar da de orkar ga runt lite mer!
      kram!

      Delete
  2. I wish my husband is open to this 'meet up with friends across the world' kind of thingy.. not a chance! I thought a trip with my sisters and best friend just to shop till we drop would be cool but not happening anytime soon :( By the way NYC is great.. haven't been in a while though..

    GREETINGS FROM DUBAI
    MRS JACK OF ALL TRADES (a fashion and life-style blog)
    http://mrsjackofalltradesdaily.blogspot.ae/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The last time we went we took a drive outside NYC (about an hour) to Woodbury and hit the outlet mall there.. I tell you a day was not enough! Good deals and lots of great stuff! They even have the ONLY Chanel outlet there.. mind you, there was not much on the shelves but on some days apparently you might just get lucky! To eat, we had dinner twice in this Italian restaurant called Trattoria del Atro between 7th and 59th (towards the park) if I'm not mistaken.. fab food and great wine list

      Delete
    2. I have to say my hubby is good regarding me going off on girls trips and I have been travelling quite a lot with my previous job so he is used to not having me around! Sometimes it's great fun with a bunch of girlfriends, giggle, shop and have a nice meal together! Will make a note of that restaurant name too! Always nice to try out something new!
      x

      Delete
  3. I can recommend brunch at Pastis in Meatpacking District. They have amazing egg dishes and you can sit outside. Boqueria in SoHo is great for tapas and Butter in NoHo has huge steaks. For a sundowner, head up to Plunge in Gansevoort hotel. Wish you a nice trip, -can't wait to see the pictures:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if we went to Boqueria last time? It was very nice (but hey, 8 years ago so maybe not there anymore). Pastis sounds like a great place, will have to make a reservation! Will look into your guide a bit more in detail as well! xx

      Delete
  4. Pastis gillar vi! Beställ bord, det brukar vara rejält fullt!
    Cipriani Downtown och Morandi, eller The Modern som ligger just vid MoMA. Boka bord!
    Enklare hak finns i Chelsea Market, ligger nära Meatpacking District.

    Och så finns Fika! För dig som inte bor i Sverige.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. nu har jag hort Pastis namnas tva ganger ar rejalt nyfike! Vi var pa Ciprianis forra gangen, jattegott och sa satt vi intill Cristy Turlington (bara en san sak). Chelsea Market ska vi ocksa kolla in! Tack for alla tips! Och Fika ska vi sjalvklart besoka! :)

      Delete
  5. Oh my,who wouldn't love this!Well done,babe!
    xx
    B.
    http://www.beeswonderland.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I should downloads printer driver for Hp Laserjet 1020.

    Also visit my web-site xerox phaser 8560n

    ReplyDelete
  7. För en massa år sedan var vi i NY och då hittade vi en ganska liten, otroligt mysig restaurang i Bridgehampton. Den var fransk och hette Pierre´s.
    Googlade och ser att den finns kvar men har byggt ut. Hoppas bara maten är lika god som då ;) Kram

    ReplyDelete