Monday, August 5, 2013

Strange weather in the UAE

The weather has been unusually "cold" for the season, or "cold" is perhaps the wrong word. "Less hot" is more suitable. Normally we have temperatures between 45-50 during the summer months but this year it has been just above 40 (except for the first week of Ramadan, when the temps hit almost 50). Another unsual thing is the cloudy weather and this morning, there were actually a few rain drops on my wind shield as I drove to work. Highly unusual! It makes the day rather gloomy and it is quite windy. And hot (not unbareably hot, but still hot). Strange.
We have now reached the last week of Ramadan and the moon sighting committee are gathering on Wednesday to determine whether the first day of Shawwal will begin on Thursday or Friday. That would mean that Eid will fall on those first days. It has been announced that the private sector will be given the two first days of Shawwal off so we are all crossing our fingers and toes that Eid will fall on Thursday, which will at least give us one extra day off. It is always announced last minute (due to the whole moon- spotting thing) hence nobody can really make any plans for the long weekend. I don't mind staying at home though, or celebrating (as we normally do) but having a nice lunch or coffee somewhere in a mall as everything has been closed for the past month. It is definitely a psychological thing, when you can't eat or drink in public (and everything is closed) all you can think of is eating and drinking in public. But I do look forward to when all the cafes and restaurants open up again.
We had a very quiet weekend. I managed to finally move up from level 65 in Candy Crush (where I have been stuck for the past month or so), I read some new books and took late afternoon naps. Which was very pleasant. And well needed. And we also finished season 3 of "Game of Thrones".
To get the ultimate start of this week, I also managed to drag myself to a spinning class. It felt divine afterwards. I have missed spinning, I realized. So will definitely try to attend more classes, on a more frequent basis as my vacation has resulted in an expanded waistline.

Who can resist a gyro? Stuffed pita bread with salad, fries, tzatziki and meat! The perfect snack but not very figure- friendly!

 

14 comments:

  1. Det låter alldeles tillräckligt med "bara drygt 40 grader...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ja, det racker gott!!! Men inte lika brannhett som det brukar vara!

      Delete
  2. Jag måste också ta tag i "the waistline", då sommarens goda märks på konditionen och på " volangerna" (valkarna)! Skönt med lite extra ledigt. Har två veckor kvar på semestern så jag ska verkligen försöka njuta av hemmaliv!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Va skont med tva veckor kvar. Ar lite smadeppad att min semester ar over. Hoppas kunna folja med maken nar de lanserar Stockholm I host, kanske en dejt?
      Kram!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Det ar varmt men inte lika outhardligt varmt som det brukar vara! :)
      Kram!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. It is really yummy! But not very healthy!
      xx

      Delete
  5. I remember level 65! It was really tough! Never thought I would make it, but then I discovered how you can cheat by changing the date on your phone/iPad...;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did that and moved it forward so now when I change it back, I get that nasty message that my next life is in 500,000 min. or so..... But it did help me to advance a few levels! :):

      Delete
    2. You have to reset the date before you start playing:)

      Delete
  6. Lite av er värme kom kanske till oss, vi hade 30 grader häromdagen. Det hör ju inte till vanligheterna. Men härligt tycker jag. :)

    Kram LInda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Det ser ut att ha varit underbart vader hemma och da far man lite extra hemlangtan. Sverige om sommaren ar oslagbart!
      Kram!

      Delete
  7. Börjar sakta men säkert ta mig tillbaka till bloggvärlden igen... ska försöka hinna läsa igen en del. Vill se hur ni hade det i Grekland!

    Skönt med lite "kallare" väder!

    Kramar

    ReplyDelete