Monday, August 19, 2013

Tabata

Two late nights in a row takes its toll and I was pretty tired on Saturday. The kids had some friends over the whole day so I was relaxing in my bedroom, reading a book. I have to say that the little desk adds perfectly to the bedroom and it makes me happy just looking at it.
In the afternoon, I took all the kids to the pool and even managed to nod off for a while. The evening was quiet, more reading and going to bed early to get ready for work.
I and friend S attended the Tabata class at the gym last night. She and friend T went last week and said it was fantastic. I was looking for an alternative to my spinning, so this will be perfect. The only downside is the timing, 6.30 which is rather late. However, as long as the kids have summer holiday and no homework in the afternoons, I will make an exception and do a late night class. It also means I can stay an hour longer at the office, which is more than necessary as I am drowning with work. Everyone has been on vacation and of course, when nobody is there, all work piles up!
Tabata training is something new to me and it is high- intensity interval training (HIIT), also called High- Intensity Intermittent Exercise (HIE) or sprint interval training (SIT). It is an enhanced form of interval training, an exercise strategy alternating periods of short intense anaerobic exercise with less- intense recovery periods. Usual HIIT sessions vary from 4- 30 minutes. These short, intense periods workouts provide improved athletic capacity and condition. Well, that is what Wikipeda tells you about Tabata. The exercises come in pairs (i.e. push ups and sit ups or squats and burpees) where you perform one exercise for 20 seconds, rest for 10 seconds, then do the second one for 20 seconds, rest for 10 seconds and go back to the first one so all in all you do four repetitions of each exercise in 4 minutes. The rest between each set is slightly longer but it is intense and you barely have time to catch your breath until it is time for the next set. It was amazing, exhausting and tough but you feel alive and I felt great afterwards. Suspect I will feel less great today, my legs are already a bit sore. This is a class that suits me perfectly so I will definitely go back. The entire class lasted for 45 minutes, which was just about what I could manage!
So if you are looking for something different but very intense, I can definitely recommend Tabata!

3 comments:

  1. Det låter spännande - måste kollas upp! (Sedan om det är något för mig eller ej, det är en annan fråga...;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oj, det lät superjobbigt! Jag håller mig till spinningen, jag!;)

    Kram Pernilla

    ReplyDelete