Sunday, November 10, 2013

Sightseeing, shopping and fine dining

The Ladies were relaxing at home while I spent two days at the office to catch up with some work. On Monday, hubby was kind enough to take them to Gold & Diamond  Park for some jewelry shopping. They were both impressed with the service and hospitality and Mum's friend came home with a gold chain. I prefer the Gold & Diamond Park when it comes to jewelry shopping rather than the more commercial Gold Souk in Deira, where the prices are higher and the shop keepers are more pushy, all to get the tourists attention. The Gold & Diamond Park is located on Sheikh Zayed Road, near the Bur Dubai Police Station. It is a large mall with a selection of 90 leading retailers.

On Wednesday, I took the day off and we headed off to Jumeirah Beach Hotel for some beach time. The hotel was quite busy with a majority of Russian speaking tourists. We got a nice spot near the ocean though and enjoyed a few hours in the sun. The sea was quite rough with high waves but it was still warm enough even for me (as my blood has become significantly thinner after 7 years abroad).
We had a lovely lunch by the pool bar and went back home in the afternoon as we had a dinner reservation at the Meat Company, Madinat later that evening.
Since this was my Mum's friends first visit to Dubai, we decided to stroll around the souk for a while and look around the shops. We even had time for a Cosmopolitan at Left Bank before our dinner reservation. Dinner was superb as always, the Meat Company never disappoints and we had excellent service and food! After our delicious steaks (I couldn't even finish mine so was offered a doggy bag which I carried around for the rest of the evening...) we headed off to Trader Vic's (my usual spot) for some drinks before it was time to call it a night, all happy and full.
Unfortunately, Mum caught a cold and spent the last days in bed resting but I took her friend out for the mandatory shopping tour in Karama and Bur Dubai. We started off at Karama Shopping Complex where I found a nice pair of shorts to Elias before we continued our shopping spree in Bur Dubai and the Textile Souk. I love the Textile Souk with its vicinity to the Dubai Creek, the friendly (and slightly annoying) Afghani vendors and the cheap but delicious food.
Tonight I'm taking the Ladies to the airport and they will depart for Sweden early tomorrow morning. I would like to think they had a great time here and on Thursday, Elias and Grandma spent some quality time together, playing Monopoly and cards (Elias apparently beat her in both games....)
    Burj Al Arab

    Beef sandwich

    Chicken pita
Husband is in Sweden again on his November vacation and spent a night out with his old friends last night. A new week is ahead of us and soon it's Christmas.... Happy Sunday all!



 

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like you guys had a great time together. I would die for a nice steak right now. We had our first snow last night...yuck!
    Wishing you a good start of the new week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trevligt med sightseeing och shopping i Dubai! Det hoppas jag ocksa kunna fa göra nagon dag. Än sa länge har jag bara shoppat nagra ganger pa flygplatsen.
    Kramar

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vad härligt ni har!
    :-)
    Fortsätt njut nu.
    Kram!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok this post is To yummyyyy haha :) and thanks so much for your sweet words on my blog.

    Check out my new post....Modern stylish kitchen inspiration:)

    Have a fab. day dear

    LOVE Maria at inredningsvis - The Swedish home decor blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's been so long since I last had dinner at Meat Co. I really want a steak now:)

    ReplyDelete