Sunday, November 17, 2013

What happened to 2013?

Is it just me or has this year just flown by?? Not that it is over yet, but I can't believe we are already past mid- November and Christmas is literally just around the corner.
Yesterday I dropped Joli off at a birthday party and managed to get some IKEA- errands done while she was at the party. It was insane so I tried to get whatever I need to be done as fast as possible and get out of there. I found a set of 24 cute little paper bags with number stickers, perfect to use as an advent calendar (or gift calendar). As always, I am tempted to create a gift calendar for the kids but it usually ends with a disaster, or best case, with a chocolate calendar. These cute little bags save me the time of gift wrapping, now I only have to figure out what to put inside them..hm!!
The Christmas decorations were up (all malls seem to have exchanged all the Halloween decorations for Christmas ornaments and trees over the last week) and I was almost expecting some Christmas music coming out of the speakers, fortunately, it didn't. Call me a Grinch, but I think it is a bit early.
Husband arrived late Friday from his vacation week in Sweden. He brought lots of nice magazines, all with a Christmas theme, so I have to admit that the Christmas spirit is slowly getting its grip on me.
The next festive event to look forward to is Thanksgiving, an American tradition we have embraced completely and celebrated all American style with our neighbours. Friends T and S will prepare the turkey and I will do my best  to contribute with potatoes and something else.
Being married to a pilot means that you can never plan so hubby will get his schedule end of this month and only then will we find out whether he is home for Christmas or not. Last year he was, the first Christmas we celebrated together since we moved to Dubai in 2008, so I suspect we will not get that lucky this year.
Weather wise, this is definitely the best time of the year. Mornings and evenings are wonderful and give it a few more weeks, and the ocean will be too cold for a thin blooded expat!

Happy Joli at a school excursion to Bastakiya
 

17 comments:

  1. Julen närmar sej med stormsteg, även om jag inte alls känner nån julstämning än. Dock ska det bli skönt att sätta upp adventsbelysningen snart - det är så mörkt och dystert nu. Kram

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jag saknar de fina adventsljusstakarna som lyser upp sa fint! Det ar nagot speciellt att se dem I varje fonster!
      Kram!

      Delete
  2. Vuisst har året verkligen försvunnit... för min del förmodligen mycket pga att ha tillbringat de senaste 4 månaderna på sjukhus. Tiden går fort när man har roligt... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Du har din underbara humor I behall, med den kommer man langt Du ar en kampe!

      Delete
  3. Time just flies...Christmas decorations are up and people have started their Christmas shopping already. Personally, I think it's way too early! I'm not at all in the Christmas mood yet!
    Have a great week!
    Kramar, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is just crazy!! It is bit too early to see Christmas trees and ornaments in the shops, it kind of makes you tired of Christmas before it hasn't even arrived!!
      Hoppas allt ar bra med er!!!
      Ha en harlig vecka!
      Kram!

      Delete
  4. I know....! Det är helt galet hur fort tiden flyger iväg. Tyckte det just var skolstart! Och jag hänger verkligen inte med att det snart ar jul. Gillar egentligen julen men just nu känns det bara sa galet stressande att den snart är här.
    Kramar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ja, det ar helt otroligt vad fort det har gatt! Skrammande! Just nu ar det lite tidigt for julskyltning kanns det som. Det ar synd nar allt ska dra igang sa tidigt for man hinner ju bli trot pa det innan sjalva julen kommer!
      Kram!

      Delete
  5. It's really scary! Can't really get in that Christmas mood when I'm walking around in flip flops and still have to turn on the a/c during the day:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a bit odd to get into the right Christmas spirit when it is 30 degrees outside! I don't miss snow that much but on Christmas, it should be cold and white outside!

      Delete
  6. I agree.. 2013 went like *fingers snap* that! Anyway, over here in my household we start our X'mas mood on the 8th of December (my husband's family tradition) so still too early. Last year my husband was on off days both X'mas and New year - quite rare as you know and this year I'd be happy if he'd be home for X'mas even for half day! Story of our lives.. hope you had a good weekend :)

    xxx
    Mrs C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great day to start it! First of Advent is our starting day when we put our advent lights up. And I suspect the tree will go up on the second of Advent. In Sweden, we used to decorate it the day before Christmas but the kids want to start it earlier so second of Advent is our new compromise!
      Yeah, true, we are lucky to get one or two days every second year hahaha! We are thinking Christmas Day brunch this year, otherwise we normally organize our own brunch at someone's house, which is a nice tradition too!
      Have a great week ahead!!
      xxx

      Delete
  7. awww,,,that smile is so precious!!
    I cannot believe how quickly the year is over either. It's crazy how fast time flies. I'm not sure if it's because I'm getting older or because I'm so consumed by things happening so quickly and the need/want to keep up through social media but time really is zooming!

    Here's to enjoying the last weeks of 2013!!

    xo,
    nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nancy! I'm hoping it's because we are all busy and doing lots of fun stuff but also think it is an age thing. I guess it's good, rather that than being bored! :):)

      Delete
  8. Det värsta är att det känns som att tiden går fortare med åren, snart är det halvår sen vi var i NYC!!

    ReplyDelete