Thursday, December 26, 2013

Christmas in the desert

We have had a wonderful Christmas, lots of good food, drinks, great company and gifts. It started off on Sunday evening when we enjoyed glogg together with our Faroese friends and ended with the lovely Christmas brunch at the Poloclub yesterday. Our Swedish "julbord" (Christmas buffet) was delicious and then it continued with a grand turkey dinner on Christmas eve at friend T's house. The kids played Christmas carols and we all sang together. Husband had to leave early as he had a flight to Phuket the next day. Yesterday we went to the Dubai Polo and Equestrian Club for a traditional brunch. The food was fantastic, lots of seafood (oysters, mussels, prawns) sushi, dim sum, salads, cheese, turkey, steak, a tortilla station, an Indian station, pasta, fried salmon, you name it. We sat overlooking the gorgeous polo villas and the polo field. The kids enjoyed the bouncy castle (although they are getting a bit too big for that now) and played football on the polo field. And suddenly Santa arrived in a horse sleigh with gifts.I was lucky enough to win a gift hamper at the lucky draw! The hamper was quite big, containing a perfume, a ginger bread house, chocolates, macarones, Arabic sweets, a dinner voucher for two at one of their restaurants and a confetti canon (excellent for new years' party). I rarely win anything, last time I won something was at Liseberg in 2005 (a massive bag of crisps, lucky me).
I'm back in the office for one day, it's Thursday. The weekend spirit is not quite here after three days off but still looking forward to it. We are eating turkey left overs and I made another Jansson's temptation yesterday. I love Jansson's temptation! It is a potato dish with onion and anchovies baked in the oven with cream and topped with breadcrumbs. It is a very traditional dish and I think it has its special place on all form of buffets in Sweden; Christmas, Easter, Midsummer....
This Christmas has been far the best in a long time. Last year husband was in the middle of his upgrade and it was very stressful in many ways. Lots of expectations and disappointments, although all went well in the end but an upgrade is stressful time, for everyone involved. This Christmas we are more relaxed. I hope you have all enjoyed a lovely Christmas holiday with near and dear ones!

What would I do without these two?!

I won a gift hamper

Joli focusing on her soda
 

9 comments:

  1. Grattis till vinsten och gott slut på året!! Hoppas 2014 blir ett fint år för dig och familjen, hoppas vi ses snart!! Kram!!! /M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tack och detsamma! Jag hoppas att ni kommer hit I april sa vi kan fira fodelsedagar och ha det allmant gott! Kram!!!

      Delete
    2. Jag bloggar igen! Mariesvensson.blogspot.com :-)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas and congratulations! Please, please please teach me how to make Janssons for me someday. I love it, but I do not have the slightest clue about how you cook it:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I will show you how to make Jansson's. It is very easy and I just love that dish!! See you tonight!

      Delete
  4. Härlig julhelg ni haft!
    Ha ett riktigt Gott Slut och ett Gott Nytt 2014
    Kram

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Det har varit riktigt trevligt och mycket god mat! Tack detsamma, onskar gott slut och gott nytt ar!!!
      Kram!

      Delete
  5. I’m really amazed with your posting skills as well as with the layout on your blog site. Is this a paid style or did you modify it yourself? Either way keep up the pleasant quality writing, it is rare to see a great site such as this one these days.I recently came to know about http://toysuae.com/, their Bouncy Castles In UAE are very effective.
    Bouncy Castles In UAE

    ReplyDelete