Friday, January 24, 2014

The Friday rant

Buffet dinner at Latitude, Jumeirah Beach Hotel

Cheburashka, or "Drutten" as we called him/her in Sweden
A few weeks ago when I and Joli went to purchase the "Little House on the Prairie" books at Kinokuniya, I spotted Cheburashka! Cheburashka is a Russian cartoon character and was popular around early 70's and 80's. I remember it from Swedish TV but with the name "Drutten och Jena". Jena is Cheburashkas' Crocodile friend. He is wonderful and sensitive, always there to help cute little Cheburashka who seems to end up in all sorts of trouble. I recall Swedish stores selling"Drutten och Jena" candy. The Russian cartoon is however much more fun and I bought a few movies when I was in Russia many years ago. Of course I couldn't resist this little furry figure so he came home with me. Next time hubby has a flight to Russia, I'll ask him to find some more Cheburashka DVDs. That will also be an excellent opportunity for me to practice my Russian.
This past week has been hectic (what's new). Being away for a few days is great but as I said, it means that you have millions of emails to attend to, tasks piling up on your desk and people chasing you with a torch in the corridor.
I am not sure if you have read about it but on November 24 2013, China, France, Germany, the Russian Federation, the United Kingdom and the United States reached an agreement with Iran on its nuclear programme, the Joint Plan of Action. Part of this plan relies on the implementation of measures to be taken by both sides for a duration of six months and includes partial relief from EU and U.S. Iran sanctions in exchange for a IAEA access to Iran's nuclear plants. This is important news and will definitely have impact on our business so most of yesterday was dedicated to thorough research on how this will affect us as a company in practice. And I'm still not finished. For once I ordered hubby to take Joli to her swimming and also go ahead with the weekly grocery so that I could dedicate the day to some work. The idea was to go to Mirdif City Centre, find a nice café and sit there and combine coffee break with work, however, I found myself roaming around the mall instead and ended up (as usual) at Max Burger. Suddenly I spotted my house doctor, also buying a Max Burger (he is half Swedish) together with his family and I quickly finished off my lunch as I find it a bit awkward to sit near my house doctor in the same small hamburger restaurant. That was however a good thing as I had to leave most of my wonderfully greasy chips behind...
The girls are organizing a SPA- evening again. It has been ages ago we did something like that and I'm looking forward to it. I'm making bruschetta for tonight, topped with mushroom stew. At least that is my plan as of now. Knowing myself, I'll be running down to Choitrams in panic to grab the last piece of Brie cheese they have in the counter. And some salty crackers.
And I forgot to mention, last Sunday, we went out for dinner, the entire Diploma course group. Funnily enough, everyone showed up on time... We went to "Latitude" at Jumeirah Beach Hotel and enjoyed an excellent buffet. The downside was that we had already enjoyed an almost as good buffet for lunch, so there was not that much room left, however, I managed to have two large servings of amazing salmon sashimi before I had to admit myself defeated (by food). After dinner, I and friend V went to the piano bar for a gin tonic to round off the evening.
Our departmental lunch finally took place yesterday, about a month late due to travelling (not me). We had made a reservation at the Italian restaurant "Sicilia" at the Movenpick Ibn Battuta Gate Hotel and they did not disappoint. I decided to go for the parma pizza and it was worth every crumble. I finished the whole thing and didn't have to eat dinner at all last night. My colleagues had chick pea soup as a starter and then pizza and our head of department opted for the veal, which also looked really delicious. We even managed to have a cheeky glass of wine with our meal! I wasn't sure whether my colleagues found it odd if I started to take photos of the food so hence, no photos.
Last Saturday, I hosted a wonderful blog evening, which I will write more about in a separate post. It was such a lovely evening with amazing people, I was on a high for days after! I think I still am!
Ok, off to make bruschetta.

 

12 comments:

  1. Haha Drutten och Jena ja. De minns jag. Jag gillade dem mycket då. Känns väldigt 70-tal nu när man tänker tilllbaka. Minns även att jag fick en hemvirkad drutten av en vi känner. Låter underbart med SPA!
    Ha en fin helg nu!
    Kramar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. En hemvirkad Drutten, vad gulligt!!! Jag hade en handdocka med Drutten som jag alskade, tyckte han/hon var sa sot med sina stora oron.
      Det var harligt med SPA och trevligt att prata ikapp med granntjejerna. Alla har fullt upp under veckorna sa da ar sadan stunder guld varda!
      Kram!

      Delete
  2. Hi Pia! That's a very eventful week! :) Max Burger is something I want to try really soon. Thanks once again for hosting the Bloggers' dinner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can definitely recommend it, I just love it!! I am already looking forward to our next dinner!!! xx

      Delete
  3. Jag hade inte en aning om att det var ryska figurer! Alltid lär man sig något nytt...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Visst inte heller att de var ryska forran jag sag dem I St. Petersburg och fick forklarat deras "riktiga" ursprung.

      Delete
  4. Drutten och Jena, dem minns även jag! Vad roligt att läsa ditt inlägg!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a week you had! Mine was spent scrubbing, cooking, cleaning, ironing (yikes!) and hoping for my maid to return soon! I've seen this Max Burger outlet on Beach Road but has yet to try. We just tried Hollywood Burger (across the street from us at City Walk) and our favorite Burger Fuel but definitely must try this Max Burger. I would love to host some sort of dinner for all of the gang but we'd have to wait for my maid to return.. some Italian cuisine night perhaps :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Italian cuisine sounds lovely!! Very much looking forward to that! I know what it's like when the maid is away. Every summer when Teresa is leaving, she has to take me around the house for a tour to show me where everything is and how to work the washing machine...! I hope your maid gets back soon!
      I love Max Burger, the fries are super yummy and crunchy and maybe because it brings some nice memories back from Sweden as well. Don't forget to order a dip on the side (I can recommend the green and garlic)! I'm already looking forward to our next get together! :)

      Delete
  6. Drutten och Jena! Men vilken barndomsflashback!! Hade helt totalt glömt bort dom, men visst tittade jag pa dom. Kommer dock inte ihag speciellt mycket, men söt är han ju i alla fall.
    Kramar

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not sure we had Drutten in Denmark, but we had something similar called "Bimser"...

    ReplyDelete