Friday, January 17, 2014

To Paris and back

Last week, hubby had a flight to Paris and I decided to tag along. I haven't been on a trip with hubby (behind the steering wheel that is) since we lived in Sweden and that was a trip to Berlin in a small Dash -8, together with a 10 month old baby that refused to stay in his seat and crawled up and down the aisle during most of the flight. One of the main reasons is because the other side of the standby coin is that you may not get back in time and with a job waiting, that is not a good option (and happened when I went to New York last year and missed two flights). This time however, the standby Gods were merciful and the flight had open seats. I had worked all day and also attended a school meeting in the evening and was way too excited to get some sleep, I think I nodded off for about half an hour before it was time to get up and head out to the airport. Flight left at 3.20 am and I got myself a Starbucks latte to ensure I'd at least stay awake until the boarding had been completed. Needless to say, I took me only one glass of something fizzy before I slept like a baby until breakfast time. We landed in a very gloomy and rainy Paris but regardless of weather, Paris is always Paris. The crew hotel is located close to the airport and hubby and his crew went on their bus and I took the normal route with the hotel shuttle and met them back at the hotel. An hour after check- in, hubby had changed into "civilian" clothes and we were on our way into Paris town. Hubby was tired after flying all night but he bravely walked together with me up and down the narrow streets. We passed by the Louvre, the Opera House, Les Galeriers Lafayette (and we left just as quickly as it was packed with people). The sun came out and we enjoyed coffee and a croque monsieur, a few beers at a charming French bistro and a few more at another charming bistro. In the afternoon, we took the RER back to Charles de Gaulle and the hotel shuttle from there to our hotel. There we relaxed in the bar before dinner and went to bed quite early as hubby was flying back the other day and we were both knackered by that time. The next morning, I left with the hotel shuttle and hubby and his crew were picked up by the airport bus. We met at the airport and after some window shopping, it was time board the plane again and head back to Dubai.
Despite the short time (24 hour stop) it was very nice to get away with hubby, not only to see him in his work environment, but also to be able to enjoy a small get away in the middle of the week. 
Kids didn't seem to have missed us at all. Elias was busy playing some games and Joli had already fallen asleep by the time we got back. Hubby was tired (again) after a whole day of flying and I went to bed early as work awaited me the day after.

Le Louvre

Flying over the Alps






The Emirates award winning service


Tempura and tapas!!!


Lounge nibbles

 

10 comments:

  1. Sounds lovely! I know what you mean...sby travel isn't what it used to be!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it was so nice but standby is nerve wrecking sometimes when you are waiting for a final confirmation to get on! xx

      Delete
  2. I love standby....I think I've only ever paid for a flight once and that was 1/2 price only because I was leaving the country. Get in, stay a day and get out...that's my motto. There was one time just recently I was contemplating sending a xmas parcel, it would have been cheaper to take it in luggage and have my daughter meet me at the airport and then leave that night to come back.then to send it parcel post. But then it started snowing here, and the ice rain started there and airplanes were grounded over there.and power outages everywhere over there.. I had visions of being stranded for days. I came to my senses and ... emailed $$$ instead. But it was a nice thought. Glad you got a chance to get away for a bit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy! Yes, it was a nice little get away! When standby is good, then it is really good!

      Delete
  3. Härligt! Både bilderna på topparna och maten. Jag gillar Paris det är verkligen häftigt! Nu är biljetterna bokade hoppas vi kan ses i slutet av april! Kram

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tack vannen!! Jag alskar ocksa Paris, vad kan man inte gilla med den underbara staden? Vad spannande att du kommer hit!! Beratta mer!!! Ser verkligen fram emot det! Kram!

      Delete
  4. Mysigt med en riktig kortsemester!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Det var jattemysigt, ett trevligt avbrott I vardagen!! Och Paris ar ju alltid Paris!

      Delete
  5. Nej men sa trevligt att tagga med till Paris bara sa där! Da flög du ju över mig! Men det var tur att du inte klev av här med det skitvädret vi har haft de senaste dagarna.
    Kramar

    ReplyDelete
  6. How romantic and fun! :) What lovely pictures too.

    ReplyDelete